Friday, November 9, 2012

The Spirituality of Jogging

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come (Apostle Paul's first letter to Timothy 4:8).


While I have held to Paul's instruction to Timothy 4:8 for prioritizing spiritual disciplines over physical exercise for as long as I can remember, a recent invitation to a morning jog from a friend has transformed my understanding of the interrelationship between body and spirit. As I started the discipline of early morning jogging 3x/week, I began to notice reduced stress, anxiety, muscular tension and at the same time being more mentally and emotionally present during the day. Now, physical training has some value for me in that "...when I beat my body and make it my slave" (1 Cor. 9:27) the release of endorphins does energize me so I can love God with my whole being, mind, heart and strength. It is true that my body is weak and fallen (Ps. 51:5). However, I now have come to believe that I can follow Jesus more closely when He has more of me to work with. I am praying that my weekly physical training will help me stay spiritually fit over the long haul.  (by Wayne)

No comments:

Post a Comment