Monday, October 28, 2013

  Here's Wayne's reflections..it's about time

Dear friends,

Here is my long awaited newsletter. I (Wayne) enjoy writing and sharing about how we see the ways in which God has been transforming lives here at Working Hands. However, I was reminded recently in my reading that it is also important is to share how God has been transforming my own life.

FAMILY TIME

Here is a quote from Oswald Chambers, “It is not so true that prayer changes things as that prayer changes me, and then I change things.” When I read this quote, it hit me that God had been trying to get my attention in my prayers regarding my family. I had been so preoccupied with the stress of ministry and cultural adjustment that I had neglected the needs of my own family. Through a time of personal reflection, I noticed a common theme emerging through my wife, caring friends, books, and a leadership conference. I’ve come to realize that as I strengthen my role as a husband and father, my ministry to others will carry more integrity and weight. So now I am more intentional in hanging out with Jouren to hear his heartbeat as he is quickly becoming a teenager. I am so blessed that Jouren would spontaneously grab my hand as we stroll down the street or in a mall. I am savouring these precious moments. I am also becoming aware of the temptation to expend my mental and emotional energy to the Filipinos and not being available for my own family. Learning to be the leader in the family is now high on my agenda.

MERIENDA TIME

While God is teaching me these things, He continually prods me to watch where He is at work. During one of our afternoon ‘merienda’ (coffee break), I noticed a student sitting all alone and took the opportunity to talk to him. After a brief introduction, Neil revealed how his father was a junk collector. In the streets of Manila you can easily spot men pushing a cart looking for scrap metal, bottles etc. to sell to junk shops. Most of our students and their families live a day-to-day, hand-to-mouth existence. Seeing this reality, Filipino believers know what Christ meant when he teaches us to pray, “Give us this day our daily bread.” The other day I said to Phoebe, “Many people here worry about where their next meal is coming from. Here we are worrying about what we are going to cook for our next meal.”  What a contrast.

Just recently I noticed Neil again sitting alone during merienda. He shared with me he was depressed. It was one of the typical boy-girl struggles. I resisted the urge to give advice. I simply asked a few questions and clarified some of his answers. When we met later, he said, “Kuya Wayne, I have come to my senses”. He had reasoned that he needed to focus on graduating and be financially stable before he enters into any serious relationship. I am thankful to the Holy Spirit for the opportunity to speak into Neil’s life.

TRAVEL AND STUDY TIME

God is teaching me to face one of my many fears. In July, I left the four walls of our compound here and ventured alone with my backpack on a 3 hour commute to Manila for my language lessons. With some handwritten directions, I managed a 1.5 hour bus ride, an hour jeepney ride and a half hour MRT (Metro Rail Transit) ride to the school. I was so thankful I did not get lost in this megacity. You may be wondering if it is worth it traveling 3 hours for a 2 hour class. Well I find it worth the time and effort since the teachers have a passion to teach the language, using creative tools like flash cards, picture books, and audio recordings. It feels like kindergarten all over again. By the way, I was recently assessed as a low intermediate 1 on a scale of 0-5. It is not that great, but after a year of part time studies, I am glad to have moved up a notch. While my comprehension has increased, I still struggle with connecting my thoughts in my mind to sentences coming out of my mouth. However, not only has the weekly commute dispelled some fears of this megacity, it has given me firsthand experience to the Filipinos’ daily commute - braving diesel exhaust fumes, heavy traffic jams, and crowded MRT line-ups. I quickly realized two essential back pack items of Filipinos: handkerchief (sweat rag doubling as a diesel fumes air filter) and an umbrella (for sudden downpours).

Wayne with his language teacher at the school, His Name.

TIME WITH NARCISO

Bringing Jouren to school is a good 15 km drive. It is a series of winding roads, narrow streets, passing through a few barangays (small village) and vast farmland. Every time we go through a particular barangay, we notice an elderly man with a cane walking down the road (there are no sidewalks). As we drive Jouren to school back and forth, a friendship with this man slowly developed. It went from a wave, to a “magandang umaga” (good morning), to eventually short conversations with Narciso. When the traffic allowed it, we would stop and chat with him. He would tell us about his daughters, often times he would ask where we’re going, and one time, he thanked us for being nice to him (when all we did was stop and say hi). God taught us an important lesson – take notice of the people he brings into our path (literally!). 

R and R TIME
We needed to renew our visas so we took a trip to Taiwan for a bit of rest and recreation time. It was Jouren and my first time to visit this nation. A long time family friend and her husband hosted us in Taichung. In Taipei, we stayed with Phoebe's cousin whom she hasn't seen in 13 years!  We thank God for dear friends and relatives - indeed time well spent.

In behalf of the Wongs, this is Wayne, thanking you for your continued friendship, support and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment